in.mat-Lab has organized and realized a seminar on Perlite mineral for the undergraduate students (5th/7th semester) of the School of Mining and Metallurgical Engineering of NTUA (SMME-NTUA), and for the “Applied and Environmental Mineralogy” course (supervised by Professor Maria Perraki). The aim was to become familiar to Perlite as an industrial mineral and understand the intrinsic characteristics and the key properties of Perlite in relation to its known and new potential applications.
The seminar, being also a part of our dissemination activities regarding T2EDK-02398 LiComPerl (National funded project) and 3DMAInt-Interactive 3D Mine Mapping Artificial Intelligence:from pit-to-market decision support instrument, had 5 distinguished sections:
- Geological Characterization of Perlite Deposits (X. Simos)
- Perlite mining and raw material processing – Expansion process – Applications (A. Amanatidis)
- Company presentation and B2B case studies from Mine-To-Market and Market-To-Mine VTC analyses and profit maximizing for the client (Dr. A. Ekonomakou)
- 3DMAInt – Interactive 3D Mine Mapping Artificial Intelligence:from pit-to-market decision support instrument, had 5 distinguished sections / An update communication of the project’s findings (A. Amanatidis)
- LiComPerl – Development of composite lightweight materials with upgraded physicochemical functionality and improved economic feasibility / An update communication of the project’s findings (Dr. A. Ekonomakou)
The students visited in.mat-Lab’s Laboratory and actively participated in real expansion testing followed by characteristic tests of physical properties (LBD and Yield measurments). The high interest of the participants and their active involvment was more than satisfactory, indicating promising future engineers in the area of industrial minerals.